Stand up and be recognized! All too often women’s achievements go unrecognized. That’s why we’re encouraging all WLMP Alumna to apply or to nominate a WLMP Alumna they know for the WLMP Emerging Legal Leader Award by August 25th.
If you, or someone you know, was registered as a WLMP Participant and graduated from law school between 2011 and 2016, then you or her are eligible.
The WLMP Emerging Legal Leader Award recognizes an WLMP Alumna member for her ongoing WLMP mentorship and her dedication to the retention of women in the law. Any and all community involvement focused on further women in the law is considered.
To be eligible for the WLMP Emerging Legal Leader Award, the Award nominee:
- must be registered as a WLMP Alumna ( You can register for free by clicking here) ;
- have graduated law school and is either in her articling year, or in her first 5 years of legal practice, and/or first 5 years of her non-law career;
- must not have served on the WLMP National Board; and,
- was not removed from any WLMP Program for misconduct.
To apply for the WLMP Emerging Legal Leader Award, the award nominee package should include:
- the completed and signed WLMP PMDF Alumna Awards Form-2016;
- a letter of nomination stating the reasons for nomination and background information of the WLMP Alumna nominee’s achievements since graduating from law school and her WLMP University Chapter;
- The nominee’s current curriculum vitae/resume; and,
- Letters of support for the nomination (up to a maximum of 3).
- If possible, 1 of the letters in support of the Award nominee’s application should be from their WLMP mentee. While this is not necessary, it is helpful.
- Additional letters may be from members of the legal community, who are in good standing with their Law Societies or Associations, or a direct supervisor within their non-law career.
NOTE: We know that summer can be a difficult time to track down and secure a letter. Therefore, the WLMP Awards Working Group will accept the contact number for a person in support of your application.
All completed nomination packages should be submitted by August 25, 2016 and must be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The award will be presented on Friday, September 30, 2016 at the WLMP Legal Leaders Breakfast hosted by the WLMP uOttawa Chapter. The Award nominee should be prepared to attend the WLMP Legal Leaders Breakfast to receive their award or arrange for someone to accept the award on her behalf.